Metro Atlanta is experiencing 90+ degree temperatures for the foreseeable future, and it’s crucial to understand the simple things you can do to keep you and your family safe during this heat wave.
10 Tips for Beating Extreme Heat
- Avoid strenuous work during the warmest part of the day. Use a buddy system when working in extreme heat, and take frequent breaks.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles, even with windows partially open.
- Stay indoors as much as possible and limit exposure to the sun.
- Drink plenty of fluids and replace salts and minerals in your body. A sports beverage can replace the salt and minerals you lose in sweat. Anyone on a fluid-restricted diet or who has a problem with fluid retention should consult a doctor before increasing liquid intake.
- Limit intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Dress in loose-fitting, lightweight, and light-colored clothes that cover as much skin as possible. Protect face and head by wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
- Spend time in air-conditioned places. If you don’t have an air conditioner, spend some time each day in an air-conditioned environment such as public libraries, shopping malls or other indoor public spaces. If you need a new air conditioner or AC service, contact us.
- Stay on the lowest floor, out of the sunshine if air conditioning is not available.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors who do not have air conditioning, especially the elderly and those who spend much of their time alone.
- Putting your thermostat at a very low temperature is not going to help your home get cooler. Typically, your system will only bring your interior temperature approximately 18 degrees lower than the outside temperature.
Bonus Tip: Change your filter! It’s the easiest way to get better performance out of your air conditioner, as a clogged filter reduces air flow and makes the system work even harder.
If you find yourself in need of AC repair or a new air conditioner, our fast and friendly team of HVAC experts are ready to help you regain your comfort and beat this atlanta heat! Drop us a line and we’ll be on the way.
Several tips courtesy of https://ready.ga.gov.