With the temperatures dipping into the lowest portion of the season, here are 7 key tips to help your whole family stay warm and comfortable no matter how cold it gets.
1) Increase Humidity. Adding humidity and moisture to your home’s dry winter air will increase your overall comfort level. Boil pasta or other dishes with the lid off!
2) Turn off the Bathroom Fan. Your bathroom fan is near the ceiling, where heat and humidity tend to rise. Turn the fan off and leave the bathroom door open, sending all that precious moisture throughout your home!
3) Change your HVAC Filter. Your system is much more likely to perform perfectly and prevent freeze-ups if it can get proper circulation. A clean filter costs very little, but the impact on your comfort and your energy bills will be huge.
4) Protect your Pipes. On incredibly cold nights, open the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing, especially in basements.
5) Don’t Forget your Furry Friends. Bring pets indoors. If they can’t come inside, make sure they have enough shelter to keep them warm and that they can get to unfrozen water.
6) Get a System Tune-Up. Your HVAC system was designed with twice annual maintenance in mind, just like changing the oil in your car. If it’s been a while, schedule a professional to get out there to make sure your system is working efficiently!
7) Enjoy Comfortable, Scented Air. A simmering pot of water adds moisture to your home’s air. Bonus tip: Add a sliced orange with cloves and cinnamon and the scented steam will help your home smell amazing too!
Have cold spots in your home? Worried about your system keeping up with cold temps? We’re here to help! Call us at 770.271.7511 or request an estimate.
Some tips courtesy of the American Red Cross