When you look at photos of beautiful homes in magazines, online or real estate listings, do you know what is missing? Clutter.
It can be visually distracting and disorganized, but clutter can also affect your mood. Studies have found that those who perceived their homes as cluttered had heightened cortisol levels, a stress hormone associated with chronic stress.
How to Know What to Toss
Marie Kondo, the reigning queen of tidying up your home, has six rules for tidying and decluttering. One is to ask yourself whether an item “sparks joy.”
“Your feelings are the standard for decision making – specifically, knowing what sparks joy. To determine this when tidying, the key is to pick up each object one at a time and ask yourself quietly, ‘Does this spark joy?’
Pay attention to how your body responds. Joy is personal, so everyone will experience it differently; Marie describes it as “…a little thrill, as if the cells in your body are slowly rising.
By selecting only those things that inspire joy, you can identify precisely what you love – and what you need.”
With that in mind, here are 23 things you can declutter in 2023!
- Unused or old power cords and chargers
- Extra hangers that are taking up space
- Shoes that are worn out or no longer used
- Old towels and linens
- Games/Puzzles with missing pieces
- Old and expired medications
- Magazines/newspapers that you’ve read
- Expired food from the fridge or pantry
- CDs and DVDs
- Books that you’ve already read
- Old and expired makeup
- Broken or outdated jewelry
- Duplicates of household items
- Unnecessary paperwork
- Outdated, obsolete, or broken electronics
- Old and worn-out things in your linen closet
- Cleaning products you no longer use
- Unused sporting or exercise equipment
- Old candles that haven’t been used in years
- Unused pet toys
- Take-out sauce packets, napkins, and menus
- Outdated decor items
- Almost everything in your junk drawer
Pick some (or all!) of these and make it a point to declutter them. Consider donating usable items to a local charity shop or second-hand store. Or perhaps you can sell some items at a garage sale or even online.
Either way, you’ll experience the joy of a decluttered home!
Spring Cleaning for Your Air Conditioning System
Summer temperatures are right around the corner, and the best way to perform a “spring cleaning” of your AC System is with our professional tune-up. For just $68, one of our technicians will get your system in tip-top shape in time for summer.
Your $68 Tune-up will:
- Keep your system performing at peak efficiency
- Reduce your utility bills
- Extend the life of your system
To book your $68 Tune-up today, please call 770-271-7511 or book online.